Civic Action Statement
To advance the public purposes of higher education, presidents and chancellors across the U.S. in collaboration with Campus Compact affirm the following statements, which characterize our current commitments and name the ideals toward which we will work with renewed dedication, focus, and vigor.
We empower our students, faculty, staff, and community partners to co-create mutually respectful partnerships in pursuit of a just, equitable, and sustainable future for communities beyond the campus—nearby and around the world.
We prepare our students for lives of engaged citizenship, with the motivation and capacity to deliberate, act, and lead in pursuit of the public good.
We embrace our responsibilities as place based institutions, contributing to the health and strength of our communities—economically, socially, environmentally, educationally, and politically.
We harness the capacity of our institutions—through research, teaching, partnerships, and institutional practice—to challenge the prevailing social and economic inequalities that threaten our democratic future.
We foster an environment that consistently affirms the centrality of the public purposes of higher education by setting high expectations for members of the campus community to contribute to their achievement.
WiCC presidents and chancellors who have signed the Civic Action Statement:
- Bryan Albrecht of Gateway Technical College
- Kaylen Betzig of Waukesha County Technical College
- Rebecca M. Blank of UW-Madison
- Jack Daniels of Madison College
- Scott Flanagan of Edgewood College
- Deborah L Ford of UW-Parkside
- Beverly Kopper of University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
- Thomas Kunkel of St. Norbert College
- Michael Lanser of Lakeshore Technical College
- Andrew Leavitt of University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- James P. Loftus of Cardinal Stritch University
- Michael R. Lovell of Marquette University
- Vicki J. Martin of Milwaukee Area Technical College
- Susan May of Fox Valley Technical College
- Mary J Meehan of Alverno College
- Gary Miller of University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
- Mark A. Mone of University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Bernie L. Patterson of UW-Stevens Point
- Jeffrey H. Rafn of Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
- Lee Rasch of Western Technical College
- John Raymond of Medical College of Wisconsin
- Cathy Sandeen of UW-Extension and UW-Colleges
- Renee Wachter of University of Wisconsin-Superior
- Gregory Woodward of Carthage College