WiCC is the only organization in the state that brings all sectors of higher education – 2-year and 4-year; private, public, and technical colleges – together to positively impact Wisconsin through civic engagement and service-learning partnerships to benefit communities and students. We impact the state’s most pressing issues, support higher education to partner with communities, provide high-quality service-learning experiences for students, and build capacity on campuses to do civic engagement projects.
Student service projects have addressed a wide variety of issues including: access and success in higher education, agriculture and nutrition, animal welfare, civil rights and human rights, conflict resolution, crime / criminal justice, disability issues, disaster preparedness, economic development, environment and sustainability issues, global citizenship, health care, HIV / AIDS, housing and homelessness, hunger, immigrant and migrant worker rights, international issues, K-12 education, legal aid, mental health, mentoring, multiculturalism and diversity, parenting, poverty, public arts and theater, reading and writing, senior and elder services, sexual assault, substance abuse, tax form preparation, technology, transportation, tutoring, voting, and women’s issues.
- From 2006 through 2009, Wisconsin Campus Compact’s M3C AmeriCorps Education Award Program provided $204,000 in education awards to 204 students at 17 college and university campuses throughout Wisconsin.
- Some of our current students are working on projects such as tutoring elementary, middle school, and high school students in reading, mathematics, and a variety of other subjects; doing Habitat for Humanity Builds across the Midwest; assisting with a multitude of programs at Boys and Girls clubs; being mentors as well as Big Brothers / Big Sisters; working at Humane Societies to find animals’ homes; and donating their time and in some cases expertise to hospitals and healthcare centers.
- During first five years of Wisconsin Campus Compact’s AmeriCorps*VISTA Community Based Learning Project our VISTA members worked with college faculty and students to generate more than 53,000 student and community volunteers who provided over 582,000 hours of service.
- VISTA members also raised over $3.15 million in cash and more than $770,000 in in-kind contributions.
- AmeriCorps*VISTA members have assisted faculty and students throughout the state on a wide variety of projects.